The SKYCITY Breakers have one piece of their pre-season locked in with the announcement of the NBL Blitz, with eight matches played at Traralgon Sports Stadium at between September 7 and 9, with all teams set to participate in a range of community activities including clinics and school visits around the region, just outside Melbourne.
The SKYCITY Breakers will play Cairns and Perth in Latrobe Valley, with a third game on the 10th of September to be played in Melbourne against traditional rivals Perth Wildcats.
Head Coach Paul Henare says despite being very early in their pre-season, the games and the chance for the team to be together on the road will serve a purpose ahead of the October 8 start to the season proper.
“This will be an early hit out for us, with just over a week and a half together but while it might be a touch early for us in our preparation it is a good chance to bond together on the road as much as it is a chance to work on court.
“On the floor it will be about learning about the new players and integrating them into the group and discovering what our on court identify will be. It is also a chance to work on match fitness with three games in four days against quality teams.
“This will form one block of our pre-season and it will be important for all of those reasons, but we will then come home and have a good month to work hard on everything on and off the floor. We will add our own pre-season games in New Zealand (announced next week) closer to the start of the season and be ready to go on October 8 at Spark Arena for the visit of Cairns.”
The SKYCITY Breakers are close to confirming an exciting pre-season tour in New Zealand, with the announcement due in the next seven days. Media will be advised of an invitation to attend this announcement, and to chat with key players and coaching staff of the Breakers ahead of the season getting underway.
The full schedule of matches for the NBL Blitz is as follows:
Traralgon Basketball Centre
- Melbourne United v Illawarra Hawks, September 7, 5.30pm
- Cairns Taipans v New Zealand, September 7, 8pm
- Perth Wildcats v Adelaide 36ers, September 8, 5.30pm
- Sydney Kings v Brisbane Bullets, September 8, 8pm
- Cairns Taipans v Illawarra Hawks, September 9, 11.30am
- Brisbane Bullets v Adelaide 36ers, September 9 2pm
- Melbourne United v Sydney Kings, September 9, 5pm
- Perth Wildcats v New Zealand Breakers, September 9, 7.30pm
There will also be four games in Melbourne on Sunday, September 10. All games will start at 2pm.
- Melbourne United v Perth Wildcats, State Basketball Centre
- Sydney Kings v Illawarra Hawks, Kilsyth
- Cairns Taipans v Brisbane Bullets, Werribee
- New Zealand Breakers v Adelaide 36ers, Whittlesea
Tickets for games can be purchased at www.nbl.com.au/blitz All tickets for games at Traralgon are $12.